How to live up to the life you want
20th Jan 2019
Make 2019 the year you live the life you want! How are you doing with your New Year resolutions? Feeling a bit disappointed? Not quite got off to the virtuous start you promised yourself? Absolutely no mojo to get going because it’s just too cold and dark?
Research shows that by February 80 per cent of people will have failed in their new year intentions. So buck the trend. Gather your mojo. Make sure you’re one of the 20 per cent who do manage to live the life they want for the year ahead. It’s not as hard as you imagine. To transform your wishlist into will-power the secret is to make a positive affirmation (or affirmations).
Positive affirmations are a potent way of changing how you feel. They create a new pattern in the conscious mind that will form into a new pattern in the sub-conscious. Research shows that people who make positive affirmations not only have more self-belief, they are also more likely to achieve their objectives. Using positive self-statements can help us develop a new attitude to ourselves and our situations.
How often have you tried to lose a few pounds, or take more exercise, and failed because at heart you think of yourself as fat or unfit? Over the years we tend to get into unhelpful patterns of thinking, and think negatively about ourselves and situations, generally due to our experiences. Make a positive affirmation, and you can actually change that preconceived mindset.
How to make a positive affirmation
- Choose a statement, beginning with I and in the present tense. Anything from ‘I am determined and successful’ to ‘I am a unique and special person’ to ‘I have strength’. This is your motivation – the new you – behind your New Year resolution, what will get you out on a dark evening to a class or stop you eating that chocolate or drinking that glass of wine. Do not make this a wish or intention (‘I will be’ or ‘I’d like’)… think of it as your new reality.
- Write your affirmation on a card and carry it around with you to refer to and remind yourself. Download an image for it maybe and make it your screen saver. Or write it in your diary.
- Say your affirmation out loud (softly) for at least 10 minutes (yes, 10 minutes!) a couple of times a day. When you’re out for a walk or driving to work is a good time, or perhaps when you wake up in the morning and before going to bed.
- Visualise yourself as the person in your affirmation. Close your eyes, and imagine what that person would represent, how they would behave, what they would do, how they would speak. Each time you repeat your affirmation softly to yourself keep in your mind’s eye that image of the new you.
When you flag…
If all this sounds too much like wishful thinking, and you feel you’ll never manage to be that person in an affirmation, then don’t be one of the 80 per cent. Recruit some help! The team at The Hub are all too well aware of the hurdles, barriers and self-sabotaging that can get in the way of good intentions. So we’ve organised a series of events in January to help you:
- Mindfulness, to improve self-belief, curb anxiety and stay focused.
- Get Your Mojo for 2019, an open afternoon when you can ask our experts about building your energy and motivation to achieve your objectives.
- Stress workshop, a fact-filled one-day course with loads of advice, support, tips and practical techniques on coping with the inevitable stresses in life.
- Get over Christmas New Year retreat, a yoga/meditation afternoon including the opportunity to set your goals for 2019.
Written by Sue Leach, owner, The Hub
The Natural Health Hub is a health & well-being centre tucked behind Lymington High Street. It offers an extensive selection of holistic complementary therapies and classes. Yoga is a speciality. 87b High Street, Lymington SO41 9AN. 01590 670955.
“The only thing missing from this otherwise authentic experience, is the jet lag”.
Sunday Times Travel
The SenSpa Health Club has become a second home to me! The staff are really friendly and I particularly enjoy the PT sessions - the social activities make it feel more like a club than a gym!"
"Greeted with a friendly 'sawadeeka', snug white robe, slippers and a cup of hot Thai green tea, SenSpa guests are treated to an impressive two-floor hydrotherapy haven."
"Why fly to Thailand? Lose the spa miles and go to the New Forest instead. The authentic Thai influence sets SenSpa apart from other spas."
The Good Spa Guide
"We are B-I-G fans of SenSpa‘s bodycare and haircare: unbelievably good value, and performance that rivals products 5, 6, sometimes 10 times the price.".
The Beauty Bible
“The spa seems to have done wonders for my skin, which now feels fresh and super soft”.
National Geographic Traveller
“The award-winning Thai spa is the highlight, featuring what I've found to be the widest range of spa experiences in Hampshire”.