Meditation Made Easy
By Wellness Expert and SenSpa Director, Lina Lotto
A balanced diet, regular exercise and relaxation are the three fundamental keys to boundless energy and keeping stress at bay.
One of the deepest forms of relaxation is meditation, as it quietens the mind and frees it of clutter. The benefits of a quiet mind are more clarity, better and more sustained focus, more creativity and spontaneity and greater peace of mind. Relationships benefit too as we become calmer and less reactive.
Not all meditation techniques suit everyone and you may try several before finding one that works well for you. However all meditation focuses the mind on one thing, for example, the breath, a candle, a mantra, or even walking.
Here is a short, simple breathing meditation:
- Find somewhere quiet where you won’t be disturbed.
- Sit comfortably on a chair or on the floor with your back straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Close your eyes and focus your attention on your body for a few moments. Make adjustments to your position to make yourself more comfortable.
- Now observe your breath without wanting to control or change anything. Simply observe.
- Keep observing your breath and when thoughts enter witness the thoughts and return to your breath.
The process of meditation is to always return to the breath (or whatever it is you are focusing your mind on) when the mind wanders off. Do this for 20 minutes each day and notice a difference in how you feel.
Doing meditation with a master practitioner is the most direct and effective way of learning. You can learn meditation with David Passmore who has been holding several regular weekly sessions at SenSpa for a number of years.